The QCM-I OWLS NET is a biosensor system for combined “Wet” and “Dry” Mass Measurements. It includes:
- a high-sensitivity, acoustic, hydrated mass sensing instrument, the QCM-I
- with a waveguide sensor, the OWLS, which probes layer thickness, refractive index and dry mass.
The combination provides unprecedented information about the interactions of molecules, polymers and biological assemblies with surfaces; label-free and in real time.
The QCM-I Module
The QCM-I measuring unit is a high-sensitivity mass sensor, which measures the change in frequency of a quartz crystal resonator and as a label free biosensor it measures the “wet mass” of the adsorbed layer in processes occurring at or near the sensor surface. The measuring principle is based on impedance analysis of the quartz crystal. The resonant frequency and the bandwidth of the resonant conductance curve are determined. The bandwidth or full width at half maximum, (FWHM) is direct correlation with the quality factor (Q) which is by definition the inverse of the well known dissipation (D).
- “Wet” mass measurement
- Both the frequency and the quality of resonance (FWHM or bandwidth or dissipation) are measured
- Different harmonics (up to the 13th overtone at 5MHz crystals) can be quickly and sequentially measured
- Temperature control from 4°C to 80°C (± 0,02 °C) is included
- EC measurement module is available with ITO-QCM sensors
- Modular sensor holder with up to 4 measuring channels, but utilizing our Biosense NET topology, any number of additional, remote measuring channels can be added as needed
The OWLS Module
The OWLS is an optical lightmode spectroscopy device for the in situ study of the kinetics and equilibrium constants of surface processes. As a label-free biosensor, it is a very high sensitivity, real-time technology for investigating adsorption and binding processes.
- “Dry” mass measurement
- Real-time monitoring of surface binding process via measurement of optical properties: refractive index, thickness, mass of the nanolayer on the surface of optical biosensor chip.
- High-sensitivity, high-stability of the measurements are achieved by proprietary design of the opto-mechanical components and by the precise temperature control (10°C – 80°C ± 0.1°C ) of the sensor and the flow-cell.
- Typical sensitivity:
- Effective refractive index: NTE NTM ~2-4 x 10
- thickness of adlayer: subnanometer
- surface mass: ~1ng/cm
- Electro-Chemical System
Both the QCM and the OWLS modules with transparent, electrically conductive sensors allow investigation of surface processes under electric field.
- Fluoro-OWLS measuring System
OWLS measurements with special fluoro-cuvette also allows combined fluorescent labeled & OWLS measurements. The Fluoro–BioSense software module is offered for data evaluation & interpretation of such measurements.
Control & Simultaneous Measurement
Measurements on the different devices run in parallel and can be controlled over a local area network from a host computer using the BioSense software.
Synchronized electrochemical measurements are also possible, providing flexible and modular options of multiple simultaneous analytical techniques.
The unique network topology of this system allows unprecedented modularity and extendability for both research and industrial application.